The handsome cedar structure standing on the shores of Lake Okanagan in Penticton is the result of the hard work of many volunteers. Over the years, our gallery developed from a one-room display space in the Library / Museum Building. The first art exhibitions were organized during the late 1950's, and eventually the Penticton Art Gallery was formed. It became the Art Gallery of the South Okanagan in 1985 and offers 3,000 sq. ft. of exhibition space. In 2008, the gallery reverted to its former name as the Penticton Art Gallery.
The exhibition program offers the citizens of the South Okanagan and visitors to the area a wide variety of exhibitions of fine and decorative art from regional, provincial and national sources. In addition to the three exhibition spaces, the gallery also has a resource library -- the Tait Reading Room, a Tea Room/Education Space which overlooks beautiful Okanagan Lake, and a Gift Gallery which features original artisan works from throughout British Columbia.
The Penticton Art Gallery exists to exhibit, interpret, preserve and promote the visual artistic heritage of the region, province and nation.
In setting the Mission Statement, the Board of Directors also identifies the following values:
The gallery interacts with the community by designing programs that inspire, challenge, educate and entertain the whole community, and recognize excellence in the visual arts.
The gallery employs curatorial expertise to implement the setting of exhibitions, programs and services in accordance with nationally recognized professional standards of operation.
The operation and programs of the gallery are conducted within the scope of the financial and human resources available.